Some pipa pipa questions

S

seth

Hi,
For the last two years I have been trying to keep Pipa pipa. Both last year and the year before I have had the same problem. After about a week or two with both pairs on both years the pipa pipa would stop eating the front and hind legs would swell and death followed soon after. The pairs looked all right when I got them other than being thin and of course somewhat stressed being WC animals. I of course researched their requirements before I bought them so as far as I can tell everything was in order: the habitat, temps, water was clean and mildly acidic, etc. Food was mosquito fish and locally collected earthworms, both of which I feed to other frogs without problems so little or no chance of poisoning there. Some sort of infection is all I would venture to guess but that is why I am asking here. This year I would like to try pipa pipa again but I would first like to find out if there is something I was doing wrong or if I was just unlucky.

Thank you for your help.

Seth,
There are multiple possible causes but given that it affected both animals at about the same time, I would suspect a infectious agent such as a bacterial or viral infection.
You would need a necropsy to be absolutely sure as to the cause of death.

Ed

Hi, I'm Giuseppe Ripepi from Italy and this is my first post ;)
I have many Pipa pipa (5 years that I have this species) at home and I looked that this specie can have some problems with the moviment of the water, they want not it, can death and they can swell (same to infection).
Do you supply only invertebrats to your Pipa ? I supply sometimes some red fish (carassius), it is very good food.
Excuse me for my english, if you have some questions write me.

Hi I have found the ADF's to be quite hardy. I originally kept mine with goldfish in a cold water tank without problem. I've moved house a number of times and the frogs tolerated each change to water conditions. I lost one after she got abcesses and infection (this one had also recovered from a ballon frog infection). I think i am about to lose another but I noticed its jaw has become mishapen sugesting a tumour again.
I suggest you use mineral water with a neutral ph as it may be the water your using that kills them. If your using a large tank this isn't possible but using mineral water seems to cure baloon frog. The point i am trying to make is they seem to be fairly hardy and tolerate most conditions. You could feed them daphnia as live food as feeding bloodworm seems to cause problems

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back