Some pipa pipa questions

S

seth

I obtained an adult pair of wild caught pipa pipa a few days ago and I have a few questions. The first, I would like to know if there is a approximate time I can reasonably expect them to refuse food. I am not really worried about there refusal to eat so far as I have only had them 4 days and they look in decent health otherwise but I would like to know how normal this is as the only other pair I have worked with were greedy feeders from the first day. The second, I would like to know the extent of the regeneration of body parts pipa pipa is capable of. Both of the pipa pipa in my possession appear to have a damaged left eye. The damaged eye on both individuals is gray and cloudy with no pupil visible although the animals have good body weight and appear in otherwise good heath. I have read that pipa pipa is able to regenerate their "fingers" and I would like to know how far this ability extends and if there is any possibility of the regeneration of the damaged eyes at some point in the future. Any insight is appreciated.

Seth

More details so we can help please!
Tank size and setup (post a pic)?
Temperature/filtration?
What have you tried feeding them?

I don't believe it is a setup related issue. I take care to insure a proper environment for all my frogs. However on the slim chance that something in my setup may tip someone off here are the answers to your questions. One, the tank is a 75 gallon aquarium to reduce the possibility of a sudden toxic ammonia buildup. Furnishings are at this time sparse as the frogs are basically in quarantine and consists of only a gravel base and a few items to break up the current caused by the filter. At a later time I may add some live plants and other furnishings. Unfortunately I am not able to post a picture at this time but I don't believe it's essential. Number two, the water temp is 76F. The filter is a fluval 4 canister filter and there is a mild current throughout the tank except behind the previously mentioned items placed to break up the current. Aeration is provided to increase gaseous exchange but is probably unnecessary. Number three, so far I have offered live earthworms and live free swimming mosquito fish are also present as food items in the tank. I hope this helps but again I don't believe this is a setup issue. I am not really worried about it yet just curious.
Thanks

Seth

76F is OK, but 78-80F would be better. Lose the aeration, you don't need it and it will stress the frogs. Make sure there is minimal current in the tank. How big is the gravel - small enough for them to swallow?
Impossible to say for sure, but cloudy eyes can be caused by poor water quality (esp. ammonia). This is usually reversible and may clear up with good husbandry.

Out of interest earlier this year i recieved a pair of wild caught pipa pipa, they were housed in a 24inch cube with an internal filter and heater combined (Hydor 1tf300 i think) with the temp set at 80f, the tank was totally bare apart from a deep layer of soggy leaf litter which the frogs vanished into straight away. within two days they were taking large worms. Also almost every night the male starts calling for abour two hours, and keeps trying to grab the female who promptly gives a release call and he then sulks for a n hour or two before having another go!
Ben

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back