Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help me with my strange coloured xenopus

J

jarno

Since a couple weeks I've two female Xenopus. The first owner told me their a couple of years old. Their size is 6 - 7 cm. They have a strange colour. Their light brownish with a orange glow. Between their feet they've orange webbing.
Is this a Xenopus leavis or an other specie?

colin

Reaction score
Sounds like Xenopus muelleri to me... Do they have large protruding bits under their eyes (suboccular tentacles)

does this look like them? The male is the smaller of the two and has very orane legs, the females have just the colour on their feet

27138.jpg

(Message edited by colin on November 28, 2004)

(Message edited by colin on November 28, 2004)

J

jarno

No, yours are more gray. I can't see any suboccular tentacles at this moment. Their really brown-orange at the top. The bottom of the frogs are light brown yellow.

colin

Reaction score
OK.... next...

do the frogs have a claw on their heel or not? That will get us to genus level...

Xenopus have 3 claws, Silurana have 4

Here is a pic of one of my Silurana looking a bit orange too

27150.jpg

J

jarno

Thanks Colin, that frog is exactly like those of mine. They have very small eyes.
Can you tell me more about these animals? Is it hard to get more animals of this specie? Are these frogs less common than Xenopus?

martin

Reaction score
Hello,
Silurana (Xenopus) tropicalis is very present at the (European) pet trade.
There are at least four Silurana species or forms.
In the pet trade not all Silurana are tropicalis.

(In Germany) Sometimes they are sold as African Dwarf Clawed Frogs.

Some photos of Silurana epitropicalis: http://www.pipidae.de/arten_gehalten_kf_siluranaepitropicalis1.php

Bye Martin

(Message edited by martintruckenbrodt on November 29, 2004)

(Message edited by martintruckenbrodt on November 29, 2004)

J

jarno

I try to borrow a digicam from a friend. Maybe someone can tell which specie of the genus Silurana I have.

martin

Reaction score
Hello,
IMO for the first look Colins Silurana looks like a epitropicalis type.
IMO tropicalis is not so nice coloured as epitropicalis. IMO tropicalis is more uni coloured.
Since some weeks I am keeping tropicalis from Nigeria. They are very greyish on their back without clear dots.

Bye Martin

J

jarno

If my silurana's are real silurana (and not Xenopus), is there someone interested in my animals?

martin

Reaction score
Hello,
Silurana definitely have smaller eyes as Xenopus.
The Netherlands are not very far away from me. But I have not any tank free!
happy.gif

Bye Martin

colin

Reaction score
Hi martin

yes, i think that the pictures show epitropicalis, although many have argued over it!

Jarno, someone may be interested but i have a few already
happy.gif
They are easy to keep and nice little frogs

cheers
Colin

J

jarno

The're nice little frogs. But at this moment I'm afraid that I need all the space in my room. My female verrucossus laid over a 300 eggs. So I guess they will fill up my room.

martin

Reaction score
Hello,
you should move to a pond!
happy.gif

Try a post at the Pipidae board on my website www.pipidae.net to find a new home for your Silurana.

Bye Martin

P

patrick

The frogs that Martin and Colin have are indeed a new silurana tetraploid found in Nigeria.. There is documentation on them i have read, it should be released by now. "new tetraploid 2" is the name being used for now.

Kriton has these Silurana as well..

Some quick corrections looking thru the posts: not all xenopus have 3 claws.. the fraseri-like sub group and X clivii all have the 4th claw on the prehallux. also, there are now 5 identified species of Silurana the two newest are new tetraploid2 and there is also a new diploid (tropicalis-like).

(Message edited by xenopuszoo on December 14, 2004)

martin

Reaction score
Hello,
I got the epitropicalis from Kriton. They were from Accra/Ghana. After two years I brought him the last two females back.

Now I am keeping Silurana (tropicalis) from Nigeria.

Bye Martin

P

patrick

I think that Kriton had S. epitropicalis from Geneva as well. the new tetraploid2 are from Ghana also. I wrote a thread on pipidae.net about them ;)

The silurana are even more difficult to distinguish then xenopus. they are capable of crossing, adding chromosome numbers to the offspring which can create a whole new species.
bowl.gif
I am certain that this taxa will explode with new species and subspecies.

I am waiting to get the paper back on them, my computer crashed last month and I lost alot of files, including my book..
cry.gif

I am slowly rebuilding everything though
frog.gif

martin

Reaction score
Hello Patrick,
I don't know if he had an other epitropicalis.
At the last visit he had tropicalis.
His last statement is, that the Ghaneese Silurana are epitropicalis cause they have only very little genetic differences to the former known epitropicalis.

Kriton should have more time for surfing discussion boards!
happy.gif

I am not a Xenopus or a Silurana freak. I only want to keep one species of each genus in my still under construction community tank (paludarium with 1500 liters of water).
I am a poor ADCF freak!
dizzy.gif

Bye Martin

(Message edited by martintruckenbrodt on December 14, 2004)

P

patrick

From what I have been told, the Silurana tetraploids are very difficult to distinguish, even through karotyping. Mating call is no real indication either.
dizzy.gif

Maybe they are more likely geographical subspecies. It's very difficult to know 100%.. I just enjoy what I have and am very fortunate to have the frogs that I do.
rofl.gif

Here is a photo of S. epitropicalis that my friend Melody sent me. She took these photos at a lab in France. Although color is a very bad way to identify a species, S epitrop generally is not speckled.
27838.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1