Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ceratophrys ornata (pacman frog)

K

kaysie

Is anyone else keeping one of these? I received a rescue, and am keeping him in plain topsoil with a waterdish and some ivy. Just wondering how everyone else keeps theirs?

E

edward

Hi Kaysie,
That is a fine set for a Ceratophrys. Are you sure it is an ornata as cranwelli and various hybrids are also readily available.

Depending on what you want to feed it (also depending on the size of the frog) you can feed them live fish (mollies, minnows are good choices avoid goldfish), various sized rodent (not too many as commercial rodent diets are too high in vitamin A and can cause secondary hypoparathyroidism (one of the MBDs), earthworms and some crickets. Adults do well on one large mouse every two weeks to one month.

If everything goes well I will be away for a couple of days looking for some hellbenders so if you other questions I will answer them when I get back.

Ed

K

kaysie

Thanks Ed. I'm not horribly experienced with frogs, just looking for some possible alternatives. I've got some feeder fish growing steadily (some mollies, they just had some babies, so I'm waiting for them to get bigger).

M

meghan

Hey Kaysie, I have one too but he's relatively small yet. I have him in a small glass bowl with moist soil, bark, moss and a water dish. He rarely moves except when he sees a large cricket or worm infront of him. Extremely easy to care for.

colin

Reaction score
Hi Kaysie,

Just remember to watch your fingers when you are doing any maintenance around the frog, i have been bitten by them before and it leaves a mark!

Colin

K

kaysie

Colin, thats why I always turn him around and wear gloves. He's fiesty! For some reason, he just refuses to eat earthworms. Wont even look at them. oh well.

colin

Reaction score
sometimes they just get used to a particular food and that's that... you could try wriggling them on tongs near his nose? My male Budgett took a while to get used to worms, but after an aestivation is seemed liked he 'forgot' he didnt eat them LOL... i'm sure perseverence will win
happy.gif

T

tom

The food requires a significant amount of movement for the pacman frog to take interest. Shaking of food with tongs has been shown effective, but please exercise caution when doing so. Crickets work very well for me. They provide enough movement on their own for the frog to recognize it as food, and they sometimes walk right into the frog's mouth.

C

cameron

Please realize the dates of these forums Tom.

This was going on three years ago in 2004

T

tom

Cameron - I'm not concerned with the date of the thread. The thread was visible on this subforum (near the top), so I added a nugget of information related to the topic.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1