Pacman Frog (toad?)

K

kaysie

One of these has landed in my care today. It was rescued from certain death in a snowbank because some college student didnt feel like taking care of it any more. But I have very little frog experience. Visited livingunderworld, and got another care sheet, but any advice, caresheets, ideas, I would be VERY grateful. thanks guys!

Very hardy and very large appetites. Just make sure you use a thermostat on the heatpad and keep it humid and cleanm out like once a week unless you have it in a large setup. (my brother's ornata fell foul to biweekly cleaning) They eat almost anything, but have certain preferences and dislikes. My brother's liked my fingers so much he gave me a scar to remember him by...
Good luck
Chris

i've noticed the fingers thing already. temp stays right around 78, high humidity. how much food do you recommend? oh, and substrate, what do you suggest?

(Message edited by kaysie on February 20, 2004)

Kaysie,

I'm new here but I can help. Your temperature and humidity sounds fine. How large is the frog and how large is your tank? If it is an adult size, it will need 10 gallons of space (more than 10g is not necessary because they're not active frogs).

Please consult this care sheet as well:

http://www.amphibiancare.com/frogs/caresheets/hornedfrog.html

For emergencies or any questions, please visit:

http://talkto.thefrog.org/

I recently acquired a horned frog as a pet and I've done my fair share of research. If you are using a heatpad, it is best to place it on the side of the tank. Ultimately, I've found that an infra-red heat bulb placed at one end of the tank is the best way to increase the ambient temperature.

Do not feed mice, pinkies, or goldfish on a regular basis. They are best used as a "treat" once per month or so to add variety to the frog's diet. Good luck with the new frog. You'll grow quite fond of it. I'm very sorry to hear that someone tossed it into the snow, but I commend you for saving it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back