Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Pseudophryne bibroni- Bibron's toadlet

L

leah

Our frog group had a little field trip last night too look for Bibron's toadlets. I never thought we'd be lucky enough to hear them, let alone find any, but we found FOUR! Their habitat is sooo specific that they're really starting to decline here, which is sad- They're such neat little frogs! They lay their eggs on land, under moist leaf litter in low-lying areas that flood with winter rains. The tadpoles mature inside the egg, so once the rains come and they hatch they're already pretty big and nearly ready to morph. Because they have a short, kind of grunt of a call that they only repeat once every few minutes it's pretty hard to track them down! The first attempt at locating one didn't work- he'd already scurried off when we got down with our lights to look. They don't hop, they walk instead, and they're good at escaping under all the ground cover!
Here are a few pictures of some we did find:

37241.jpg

37242.jpg

37243.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1