Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

which salamander

carpy

Reaction score
hi everyone...first post for me since the forum has been renewed, and i think it will take some getting used to.
anyway, my question is, i currently have a 4 by 2 by 2 viv, in which i would like a pair or more of large, characterful, preferably active salamanders. i already have salamandra galaica, but as much as i love them, they are very inactive, even at night. so i was wandering what people would recommend, i was thinking along the lines of a subspecies of a tiger sal, or something along those lines.
it should preferably get to 12", maybe a little bigger or smaller.
o yea, one other point i should make....i like rare and unusual species, so i d rather spend more on a rarer animal, hence a tiger variation, not just tiger (don't know why, im just like that lol)
Cheers Guys
p.s. sorry i posted in the wrong section initially, thought that was general discussion.

Abrahm

Reaction score
You might have a hard time finding an animal that fits all those criteria. I'm not too sure on the maximum size of all salamanders but in my experience most of them are quite small, 6" or less.

Salamanders tend to not be very active either. I find my Salamandra salamandra and Pachytriton labiatus to be pretty active. They both tend to leave their hiding spots and "beg" at the aquarium front when I enter the room. Handing feeding your S. galaica may illicite the same response over time.

I can't advise on what species would be best for you as I don't know what is available in Europe. From what I have observed you have many interesting salamanders to choose from that are being bred over there. Unfortunately, I don't know which, if any, of these will fit your criteria.

rigsby

Reaction score
although they don't get to the size your looking for mandarin ( tylototriton shanjing) newts would be a good choice, they quickly become tame and will come to the front of the viv to beg for food and also stand out well....

carpy

Reaction score
yes i have been thinking bout crocodile newts for a while now, though they would be going into a 3 foot tank. i just love their looks, they are awesome
Abrahm, i feed my galaica by hand already, and they are tame enough, they are just soo lazy. i have been looking at ambystoma by recommendation from Amber, which seem to get larger than salamandra, at least according to the stats.
any other thoughts for species, dont need to be big ones, just maybe an interesting salamander or newt that should be added to my or anyones collection?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!