Mealworms

G

Guydyon

Hi
I have three axies and I have been feeding them mealworm ever since it fits in their mouthes. The oldest, Grayish, can't live without them.
Now, I have always read about this "mealworm", to which you should crush jaws because they were dangerous, but I had no idea it was the one (actually, had no idea what it was). I just thought it wasn't it, because I couldn't see any dangerous jaws. I guess I've been lucky, till now.
So, the other day I checked in Wikipedia and found out it was the ones I had. I decided to try to crush the jaws. The thing was that he was moving all around trying to escape, and then I started to look at its "face" so I couldn't.
So, here's the question: could it be safe, to drown them instead? After a few seconds under water they stop moving. Do you think I could give it to them like that? Because otherwise, I think I got a whole boxfull of new pets...

This made me chuckle, I know I wouldn't want to drown ( or have my jaws crushed!), so after some thaught how about freezing them..they'd feel a little chilly then nod off and die, then all you'd have to do is gently defrost and hey presto no nasty bitey bits and no need to crush/cut etc.

yes, i have only recently been told about this "jaw crushing" thing, and like you i have never had any problems with either of my herps. and like you, i find it a little harsh to crush its jaws.

have you tried feeding altenative foods, such as earthworms, or bloodworm, both live and frozen?

I have tried frozen bloodworms, but they are messy in the tank. I occasionally use it when I put them out for bigger cleanings or in the fridge.
I don't trust earthworms around here, because this is a heavy industry area and the soil is quite polluted.

I feed the sometimes fish that I buy frozen, or surimi crab fingers. I guess I'll try also fishing stores around here to see what I can get.

I dont like crushing their heads I just cut em off
It gross how they still manage to squirm when I pick em up with tweezers.
but my axies loves them,so I just feed em to her.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back