Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Taricha torosa for sale

AaronK

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
This species is protected in California and is for sale out of state. Is this illegal? The seller "thinks" they are wild. Are people breeding Taricha torosa and selling them?

t_summ

Site Contributor
Reaction score
i'd like to know

I would also love to know the answer to this question as well. Living in California, it is so difficult to find newts and salamanders... i actually found a shop trying to sell a spotted salamander for $80.00! Taricha torosa are great looking and i would love to raise some one day.

AaronK

Reaction score
I am concerned people are collecting these illegally, they might endanger small populations of a sensitive species.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Taricha are among the more difficult species to breed. I can say with certainty that the ones you saw for sale were not bred, but collected. I'm not sure about torosa, but T. granulosa is still common in the pet trade, so they can still be legally collected somewhere.

apples

Reaction score
I think the current law is that it is not illegal for stores outside of California to sell Tarichas (California stores are prohibited from selling any native species, endangered or not.)

However, unless you are looking at animals from a breeder (usually they will mention that in the animal description), they are all collected. I would also be wary about what the store labels as "torosa" or "granulosa."

AaronK

Reaction score
The pictures appear to be of torosa. I know I'm beating this but it is illegal to collect and sell in California and they are only found here. So people are collecting illegaly and transporting to a state that has no restrictions so that they may sell them. I recently had a great experience observing torosa breeding and migrating from breeding areas. This experience created a new respect and awe for newts. They are amazing creatures. I will post pictures and a write up soon.

caudataman

Reaction score
torosa are found only in CA and therefore cannot legally be sold. If you have a CA fishing license you can collect a limited number for personal "consumption" but you can't sell them. I suppose a loophole could exist if a CA license holder collected said quantity, then moved out of state, then decided to sell off his/her collection, I'm not sure what could be done about it, but I'm sure that's not what's happening here.

Last edited by a moderator:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!