Karelini or cristatus?

federnewt

Reaction score
Country
Argentina
Display Name
Federico
Hi, this is my newt i am not pretty segure about her species.

Attachments

• Fenix parado.jpg
    Fenix parado.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 249
  • 27-06-05_1243.jpg
    27-06-05_1243.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 509
According to CC and other people on here, a yellow throat w spots is indicative of karelinii.

Here is an old photo of one I raised for comparison
DSCN2803.jpg

Last edited:
Joseph is saying that T. karelinii have a yellow throat with dark spots while T. cristatus usualy have a dark throat.

Take a look at the Caudata Culture page for Triturus newts as they have descriptions on how to tell them apart as well as care information. I will post the distinguishing features here:

• The throat of T. karelinii is yellow or orange with black spots, similar to the belly colouration. The other species have a predominantly dark throat, usually with white spots.
  • T. cristatus and T. dobrogicus have much white stippling on the flanks- the other two species have little or no stippling.
  • T. carnifex females almost always have a bright yellow vertebral stripe- a stripe is very rarely present in T. cristatus females. If present, it is less bright (more orange or brown) in T. karelinii and T. dobrogicus.
  • T. dobrogicus is much more slender than the other species, and the breeding male has an extremely high crest.

Using that information you should be able to make the identification yourself. I believe that your newt is T. karelinii because of the throat, but I am not an expert on these animals.

I will also be deleting your post in the Eurasian newts forum as it is a double post.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot, its a bad news for me, beacuse this is probably one of the few karelinis in Argentina.
:S

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back