Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hello - Newbe at axies

Madda

Reaction score
Hi all just thought i would say hi. My wonderful kids have just bought me an axolotl as an early mothers day present. I have always wanted one, how good are my kids? I found this site while looking for info on them, so i am still trying to find my way around.
I am from central queensland and these guys are hard to get a hold of.
If anyone has any suggestions for me it would be greatly appreciated as i have never had one before. I have been checking out some of the previous threads and are all very useful.
I just dont want anything to go wrong with my little guys as she or he is so cute.
Thanks all and looking forward to some help.

peterj

Reaction score
G'day Madda,

great to see another Aussie here :). Axies are fairly hardy, if you've kept an aquarium before have a look at the links from Jennewt and you shouldn't have too many problems. The biggest trick in most parts of Australia is keeping the water temperature down during Summer.

Best of luck,

Peter

Madda

Reaction score
thanks guys for you welcome

I have already found the water temp a bit of a drama. I have been keeping one to two frozen ice blocks in the tank that float on top. it is the only thing i can do at the moment to keep temp down. I dont know if it is the done thing but it is working. I looked around our pet stores today and couldnt find any aquatic fans does any one know where you can get them from or any other ideas on how to keep razors water temp down?

thanks heaps

chris_c

Reaction score
Hi Madda,
I have found that a pedestal fan
works great for me.
Also I have about a dozen 1 litre soft
drink bottles of declorinated water in the freezer.
I hope this is of some help.
Cheers,
Chris.

Madda

Reaction score
thanks Chris,

maybe i will try the softdrink bottles they will take up alot less room than the bricks i am using. Thanks for you help. I will also try the pedestal fan.

kaylalouise

Reaction score
i have seen on ebay fans that can clip on to fish tanks. they come from hong kong of course.

how how is it up there in queensland atm? im in sydney but looking at getting one for chirstmas but worried about the temperature.

thinking a getting a chiller. found some for around 350.

all up the tank has cost me close to 800 if i get that.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1