Bubbles?

Beck

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi - I hate to ask a stupid question, and I have read the posts on filters, oxygen etc..but...

My axie loves swimming to the surface and grabbing a great big bubble full of air. Then he (I think) spends the next 30 seconds turning sumersaults, floating around and generally acting like an adorable idiot. Then he eventually lets his air out and slowly sinks down to the surface. I don't think he is doing it because his water isn't sufficiently oxygenated, but of course I could be wrong, I am really new at this. He is in an 18" tank (his 4' one just arrived today) and he has a hollow log type thing to hide in, I have a 150l/hr filter behind the log so that it churns the water without effecting a strong current. His gills, which when I got him 3 weeks ago, were almost non-existent, are now looking looking long, and growing back really well. They don't face forward or anything, so I can only assume they are not being affected by too strong a current. I have 2 small plants in with him, which he seems to enjoy and he isn't rough with them.

Is he playing? Or am I depriving him of much needed oxygen?

Could be both. The plants would produce oxygen, but maybe not enough? Do you have an airstone or something? Airstones plus plants equals enough oxygen. He probably likes to swim around as well though. Sorry if i'm not making sense, but anyway hope this answers your question :D

Despite having gills, axolotls still have rudimentary lungs, which they will exercise from time to time. If his gills are growing back and look normal, I wouldn't worry about the occasional gulp of air.

Well axolotls (and other amphibians) breathe many ways.

one way is, obviously through the gills (Branchial respiration)
another, is through skin(Cutaneous respiration)
another way is through lungs (Pulmonic respiration)
and another is through throat area (buccopharyngeal)

is there good water flow in teh tank or is ir stangant? I notice in more stangnant water they gulp.
I am not sure if axolotls use buccopharyngeal respiration, but if they did, i could see it as a suppliment to pulmonic respiration when they. You whould have to ask someone who knows the axolotl anatomny if they utilize this form, because I am not 100% sure. I just know general anatomy. (can some say if axolotl use buccopharyngeal respiration)

THe fact that his gills are grown is a good sign and like other people said, if you are concerned about axygen in the water, a bubbler is nice to have. If you keep upi your water quality and do small waterchanges bi-weekly, there shouldnt be an oygen problem.

What kind of filter do you have? Some of them do a good job of oxygenating the water, some don't.

Thanks for the input guys...

He has a 150l/hr internal filter (Aqua One brand)...which I have been told is ok for one axie, but that I would need a bigger one if we wanted to get him a buddy? Is that correct?

We put him in his massive tank this afternoon. He has lots of plants, and we got rid of the gravel and put in some clean sand, and also polished rocks.

Also, I have tested his water, pH7.4, no ammonia, no nitrate, no nitrite.

Last edited:
Right...next purchase...air stone! This is getting out of control! :D

I had until the other day a hang on filter that is turned down low most of the day and twice daily i stir the water up and full crank it. Its really good at clearing the tank, and a jetflo 150 that runs the chiller. That until recently was just blasting into the wall. But tubby log with legs has outgrown so i rearanged. And i aimed the chiller hose length ways.. Would have to be the first time i had seen him stress over flow.

After heading to the hardware store explaining what i needed in piping fielding the usual. U got what in the tank?! I made a tank length spraybar he seems much happier. I am now hoping this setup will work effectively in summer.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back