sand

axolotlover

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Katlynn McFarland
would it be ok if i took sand from the vacation to the beach, and rinse it really well and put it on the bottem of the my axie tank?

Yes it would probably be fine... i would boil if though to make sure no nasty critters get into your tank... dont microwave it! good luck

thankyou tippytoe

~~~Axolotlover~~~

The issue with beach sand is that it often consists of shells and crushed corals and such. This can raise the pH and hardness of the water.

Where will you be taking the sand from?

i will be taking the sand from Ocean Isle in North Carolina

That sand is almost sure to contain a lot of carbonate compounds.

Your best bet is to go buy sand from the local hardware store. Not only do you not have to haul back 25 lbs of sand, but it's safer. Good quality pool filter or play sand will only cost a few dollars for a hefty bag.

Also if you take sand from a beach, check the laws. some places have made it illegal to take sand from beaches.

thanks guys. i think my albino axie will look better on top of black sand also. do you know where i can get colored sand?

~~~axolotlover~~~

Most pet stores will be able to order it for you.

I'm not sure about the US, but over here if you go to a landscape supply yard instead of a pet shop you get 10l of sand for about the price of 1l from a pet shop.

wow

~~~Axolotlover~~~

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back