Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

help

Madda

Reaction score
Hi all
I got my first axie yesterday as an early mothers day present.
Today i have noticed 2 white marks on my axie(razor). Can anyone tell me what it is
i have read about fungus could this be the problem? How do I treat it?
Also what is meant when i read in the forum Cycling?

Thanks for your help

kapo

Reaction score
Hi Madda, what a great mother's day gift! :D

Whereabouts are the white marks? And how long is Razor?

Fungus can be easily treated with saltbaths.

Always best to be sure before treating so you don't stress your axolotl needlessly. Fungus can appear as a small white lump and if you look at it from different angles you can see little hairs sticking out. Some describe it as woolly, cotton woolly or fuzzy looking. Are you able to attach/upload a photo of it?

Check the following link on cycling: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml

Madda

Reaction score
help razor

Thanks Kapo for your reply. Razor is around 14 - 15cm long. He swims around all day is that a good thing? they couldnt tell me what his age was.
Salt baths? How often and for how long? What sort of salt and what is the refrigeration treatment. Is the water in the salt bath to be the same temp as his tank?
Thanks for the link on cycling. Might be a bit of a problem, i put him in a new tank only set it up just before i got him, is that going to be a problem? I do have a couple of tropical tanks that have been going for months should I take the fish out of that one and cool it and put him in that one?

god how hard is this? He is so cute i dont wnat to hurt him. I have lots of photos of him but they are to big to upload, how do i get around that one?

Thanks again

Madda

Reaction score
there are 2 whit marks and they dont looked to be raised or hairy. one is on the right hand side under his gills and then on the right side there is a mark on one of his gills.

kapo

Reaction score
If you need to add to a message you've submitted within the hour just click the Edit button.

Thanks for the link on cycling. Might be a bit of a problem, i put him in a new tank only set it up just before i got him, is that going to be a problem? I do have a couple of tropical tanks that have been going for months should I take the fish out of that one and cool it and put him in that one?

Don't panic and we'll try and take things one step at a time!

As you have fishtanks if you can use some filter media or one of the aquarium decos from one of them and place it in your axolotl tank that can aid in cycling process.

You will also need to test the tankwater every day or every 2nd day to test for ammonia and nitrites, and if needbe (ie ammonia or nitrite levels are above 0) then you'll need to do a 20-30% waterchange. No need to add any chemicals other than one to treat tapwater to remove chlorine and chloramines.

Cycling can take from 3- 10.2 weeks (Tara's tank, another aussie owner took this long).

Other essential things you will need if you don't already have them are:

* Turkey baster - a handy little tool for daily spot cleaning of uneaten food or poo; and
* Thermometer

At least you were lucky enough to get your axolotl when its starting to cool down somewhat and not in the middle of summer.

Are you able to compress your photo, before attaching it as a file to this thread?

Just keep an eye on the marks for a few days to see if they disappear/develop, as the case may be.

The amount for saltbaths is as follows:

2-3 teaspoons of sea salt/aquarium or tonic salt per litre/2 pints of dechlorinated water in an 2 litre icecream container or other foodsafe container
Bathe for 10-15minutes max.

As he's in the tank - then yes saltbath should be same room temperature (leave saltbath container for an hour in same room).

(If you don't have sea or tonic salt you can use uniodised table salt - I use it when I run out and the petshops are closed.)

Last edited:

Madda

Reaction score
i have everything bar the testing stuff for the nitrates ect. i will purchase that tomorrow what exactly do i need for that. I will go and move a few things from the setup tanks into razors tanks.

Thanks so mush for your help you have been so great.

Are they supposed to swim around all the time?

kapo

Reaction score
Ask for the liquid freshwater test kits for ammonia and nitrite (in NZ they cost about $18 a piece but if you can afford a bit more you can get the Master Freshwater test kit that includes tests for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, low pH and high pH - costs between $55-$75NZ - it's a worthwhile investment if you can afford it otherwise if it's a bit much just buy the ammonia one first then invest in the nitrite when you can next afford one).

Also, what type/colour is your axolotl?

Attachments

• fw testkit.jpg
    fw testkit.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 467

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Madda, young ones (as yours is at that size) and ones that are still settling in can swim quite a bit. Once it gets all settled in, it will probably not swim as much.

Madda

Reaction score
hi guys

i have included a few photos they are not great but they give you his colour. The first one shows a yellow mark near his gills. That mark is actually white but cause of the flash it is yellow in the pick. Can you tell what type he is? I am pretty sure (kinda) that it is fungus cause more marks have appeared this morning. So i am going to put him in a salt bath the same temp as his tank and then do I put him back in the tank or in the fridge?

i would like to thank all of you for your help.

I didnt realize he was a little one how do i go about working out or guessing his age? any suggestions.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0546_1_4_1.JPG
    IMG_0546_1_4_1.JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 592
  • IMG_0538_1_4_1.JPG
    IMG_0538_1_4_1.JPG
    18.3 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_05411_1_27_1.jpg
    IMG_05411_1_27_1.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 907

kapo

Reaction score
He's a dark wildtype.

After the saltbath he can go back in the tank.

What is your tank temperature btw.

At 14-15cm I'd guess s/he's about 6-7 months old or even a bit older.

G

Guydyon

Just a though, but, are they like little cysts? Mine had those all over once, and I didn't know what it was. In the end it was anchorworms. If you find him one of these days with little wormies stuck to his body, then I'm right.
But better someone more experienced to check my guess.

He's very nice, and looks like my Greyish:D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1