Can you ID this little brown amphibian?

teitoku

Reaction score
I don't even know if it's a newt or a salamander really. A buddy of mine showed up with it in a plastic bag w/ water, said there were a bunch of them in puddles around his house (it recently POURED). I'd like to try keeping it, but first I'd need to know what I'm dealing with so I can look up info on caring for it. I've been keeping fish and aquatic frogs so I've got a general idea...currently he's in a tank with styrofoam for him to bask on.

Here's a photo; he/she/it is about 4"-4.5" long including the tail.

edit: heck, I should mention that it was found on the Texas Gulf Coast, near the Freeport area. Bet that helps a bit.

Attachments

• Dsc09557.jpg
    Dsc09557.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 712
Last edited:
i would go for talpoidium purely for the fact that the glands behind his head are not as large as the ones of most texanum, though im sure others will know...

Alex

As a note, they were probably at the puddles to breed.

Probably talpoidium due to the stubby body as compared to texanum. Texanum are rather elongated like annulatum. Talpoidium are stubbier like opacum...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back