Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Country Flags - Nationality

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I've replaced the original "Nationality" field in profiles. You'll now need to select a country from a drop-down list in your profile. Why did I do this? Now you can show your country flag in your messages!

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
There was a spelling mistake in the "United States" that was on the countries list. If you set your Country before this message was posted then you might need to reset it (sorry!).

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I suppose the flag is o.k. if John likes it. Flag waver has been a derogatory term in the U.S. It has meant ultra conservative, red neck, and promilatary among other things. Dawg the bounty hunter says "If they are flyng an American flag in the front yard they have guns."
The Democratic party and progressives (used to be liberal) are trying to recapture the American flag. They say being patriotic can mean you are pro peace, green, and for equality.

In the spirit of using the American flag to symbolize all that is good with the country I don't mind it with every post I make.
I hope that nobody mistakes it to mean I support the current administration in Washington, the ill conceived Iraq war, the terrible border policy, taking away of civil rights, and Americas new "manifest destiny" being heralded by King George.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Whoa there trigger... I don't think people will read much into it when they see so many different flags. Plus it says "Nationality", not political persuasion. I like to think we're apolitical on this site with the possible exception of espousing support for parties that have policies for the protection of animals and the environment, if you know what I'm saying.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd also like to welcome all of the Abu Dhabians to the forum - it's good to have you with us. I never knew there were so many newt enthusiasts in the UAE...

mike

Reaction score
I too was impressed with the increased interest from UAE nationals.... but I suspect that when registering "Country of Nationality" the drop-down list was ignored :confused:

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe we could use the flags thing as an aptitude test. People who end up being from Abu Dhabi (who obviously aren't from Abu Dhabi, e.g. ajc) aren't allowed onto the website :p.

Before anyone gets offended, I'm kidding!

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In addition to their value as an aptitude test, I like the flags because they serve as a constant reminder of the international mix of the participants here. Too often, people (most often American youngsters, I'm sorry to say) come here and write in a way that implies that everyone here will understand their frame of reference and understand the locations and measurements that they are talking about. Wake up, there's a whole world out there!:supercool:

I see that Michael is flying the flag of the United Nations now. I think he's suffering from bush-embarrassment.:blush:

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
You have hit the nail on the head there. I want people to be conscious of the international nature of this web site.

Speaking of international people, we need to make posting members out of some who used to post when they thought the site was a sort of "exclusive club" (most of the people I have in mind are Europeans). Come on, start talking to us and posting photos instead of just lurking; Living underworld has enough photos now, spread the love around! (And we don't demand permission to use your photos before you even upload them). This website is what the users (not me) make of it. If you don't contribute messages you have no influence here.

In addition to their value as an aptitude test, I like the flags because they serve as a constant reminder of the international mix of the participants here. Too often, people (most often American youngsters, I'm sorry to say) come here and write in a way that implies that everyone here will understand their frame of reference and understand the locations and measurements that they are talking about. Wake up, there's a whole world out there!:supercool:

I see that Michael is flying the flag of the United Nations now. I think he's suffering from bush-embarrassment.:blush:

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I believe I've solved the Abu Dhabi problem, at least from now on people will get "Undeclared" instead of Abu Dhabi if they don't set their flag when they edit their profile. I've left Alan with Abu Dhabi hehe.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1