Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cannibalism in hongkongensis larvae?

louise

Reaction score
Yesterday I witnessed one of my 3 week old hongkongensis larvae eat another one of similar size. It took it a few hours to completely finish swallowing.

Is this normal with newt larvae, in particular paramesotriton? The larvae are well fed on daphnia and live bloodworms, and are not overcrowded.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Benthic (bottom-dwelling) larvae, doesn't matter what species, are liable to eat each other. It's true that some species seem to be more prone to it than others but it's certainly not very rare.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting. Not many people have experience raising Paramesotriton larvae, so you are charting fairly new territory, Louise. Keep us posted.

Are they in a fairly bare setup, or do they have lots of plants and whatnot? Adding some visual barriers might help decrease the incidence of this. And of course you could keep them individually, but that's a chore if you have many.

louise

Reaction score
They are in a couple of fish fry nurseries in the parents' tank. They have plenty of elodea in their nurseries, and enjoy hiding in it, especially the younger larvae. Some of the older larvae are twice the size of the newly hatched larvae, but interestingly this particular one chose to eat a larva around the same size as itself-probably why it took the best part of the day to swallow it fully.

kerry

Reaction score
Wow! I will be keeping a close eye on mine then. Of the ones you sent me I have nine left, all doing well. Lost a weaker one quite early on. I have noticed they are capable of swallowing much bigger food than axolotl larvae, but didn't realise they could manage another newt of the same size. Mine have been quite nice to each other so far, but expect that will change soon enough

madelene

Reaction score
I found that the bigger ones were feeding off of the smaller even though I give them plenty of live bloodworms so I set up another little tank and moved the smaller ones into it. I have found that they like java moss to hide in.
Maddie

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!