feeding

Madda

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Madda
Hi guys

this might sound like a really stupid question but here goes anyway.... How do i go about feeding razor my axie. I have live blood worms and earth worms for him to eat. I dont want to be dropping food in there where he wont find it and dirting the water? Do i do it by hand or what?
told you it was a stupid question, hahah

thanks for you help in advance

cheers

mad

There are a couple of methods for feeding axies which cut down on the waste as much as possible - hand feed/ tong feed/ or stick it in a jar in the water. I personally do not like to feed with tongs (dont know why) as a treat you can also use live food feeders (insert live blood worm and they wriggle out through the holes providing the axies with loads of entertainment) I have used plates for food but they arnt really that good as the food disperses the seond an axie swims near it (bloddworms any way) or if you use salmon pellets just net the left overs after they have been in for an hour or so.

If you're not squeamish about holding earthworms you could handfeed, hold it near his head and he'll soon snap at it. Live earthworms and live bloodworm will generally crawl into whatever substrate you have if you drop them in. I've found earthworms still alive up to a week later.

We handfeed and use kebab skewers (bamboo ones) - you have to angle the skewer slightly so they grab the worm and don't skewer themselves though.

You can also use tongs, plastic tweezers as well.

We feed live bloodworms to our baby axolotls, up to an inch in size, just drop them in and they snap them up. They're on no substrate, so nowhere to burrow into.

For cleaning up any regurgitated or uneaten food, you can use a turkey baster.

Last edited:
what am i doing wrong

hi all thanks for the hlp so far

i have been feeding razor by hand or by tweezers most of the time and he must be hugry cause he snaps up the worms (earth) however he spits it straight back out.

How do i get around this one he hasnt eaten very mush since i got him and i am getting worried

Any suggestions on what i am doing wrong

thanks

Are the worms too big, if so chop them in manageable sizes. How often are you attempting to feed him? :)

i am chopping the worms up already. I am trying to feed him at the moment a couple of times a day cause he hasnt eaten since the first day i got him.
I tried live blood worms and he wasnt interested.

What to do?

Try feeding just once a day then. Anything that remains uneaten or regurgitated after an hour or so then remove it from the tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back