Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

need help with eggs

rick

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
does anyone know at what temperature i should keep spotted salamanders eggs at? i was told 72 but that seems too high

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you live near the pond where the eggs came from? If so, go there and measure the water temperature; that should be the ideal temp. I would guess that it's lower than 72F.

rick

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
i orderd them from wards and they told me 72 but that doesnt seem right

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
That's a little high. I'd say lower than 68 F (20 Celsius) just to be safe.

salamanderguy

Reaction score
DO NOT LISTEN TO WARDS!!! they know nothing about spotted salamander eggs i ordered some eggs from them and i kept them at that temputure and they all got fungus but when i lowered the temputure i was able to save 5 of the 70 eggs

rust

Reaction score
I've hatched wild collected maculatum eggs a few time over the past few years. I just kept them at room temp (not in my herp room) which fluctuated probably between 66-80F. Where I have found them in shallow vernal pools in the spring they had to have heated up pretty well during the day when in direct sunlight.

newtamander

Reaction score
I live in northern vermont and have a venal pool thats a spotted salamander hot spot. I keep mine outdoors in plastic buckets. It is often below 50F and at night below 40F when they are first laid. I'm not saying to keep them at this temp because I live in there northern range, just stating based on my experience that seems like incredibly high temp 72, I would keep them at 65F to 55F.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Ok so I'd figure I throw my $0.02 in even though this thread is pretty old but I figure the maculatum migration is just right around the corner for some of you. I have raised a number of maculatum eggs and have noticed some things of interest. First off, I have found that they can stand temps of 80F for quite sometime (I am talking weeks) but the ideal temp seems to be around 66F. With that being said when they are kept at such a high temperature they will develop a lot quicker but in turn you have larvae that are 3/4ths the size of ones kept at around 66F and the amount of "spinners" is around 40% I'd say. Now on the other end of the spectrum if they are kept under 60F then they obviously take longer to develop but they are still smaller, although the "spinner" rate drops to about 15%. For comparison when I used to keep my eggs at the range of 64-68F I would only see about 2 or maybe 3 spinners out of a 100 or more eggs. Now I can't say this stuff is absolute but it's what I have noticed with the maculatum eggs here in my neck of the woods.

Later,
Justin

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!