Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Behaviour change

dk

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I moved my axie into her (well assuming its a her) new tank just yesterday and ive noticed some behavior changes. In her old tank she would swim every night, and sometimes during the day. But in her new tank she just likes to hide under her little rock cave. Is this normal?
Thanks

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Sure. She's a little nervous in her new house. She'll come out of her shell, so to speak. Just give her a few days to settle in.

dk

Reaction score
Thanks kaysie, i just get worried easily hehe. I just wanted to make sure, im new to axies and their behaviour. Very different to dogs lol.

layla

Reaction score
axys

hi there i changed my axys home about 3 weeks ago into a larger tank and at first she was really shy it took a while but once she got used to t she was back to her old self and i no what you mean about worrying as i do the same but there is no need just keep your eye on her and unless she gets really down in the gills she should be fine.

dk

Reaction score
Just a bit of an update from yesterday, my axie (Happy) has gotten more active. I bought her some feeder fish which she loves sneaking up on ^_^ She did just need time :p

peterj

Reaction score
How are the conditions in the new tank? Brighter lights or more dissolved oxygen might also make it less enticing/necessary for an axie to be out and about.

dk

Reaction score
Hi again,
I was watching my axie this morning and i noticed that he seemed as though he was trying to swim but he couldnt. Firstly he looked as though he was trying to 'take off' and when he was like 2cm above the ground he began to just sink back to the bottom. He then sat on top of a rock and started doing swimming strokes on it. When i bought him in the store he was swimming all over the tank (which was about 30cm which is smaller than mine).
Does anyone know why this is happening?
Thanks

Tequila Sunrise

Reaction score
hey dk,
i have just gotten two axolotls and have put some feeder fish in the tank with them but they don't seem to be eating them. i have seen them try to catch them a few times but they are too slow. i tried to feed them amphibian pellets and blood worms but they didnt seem to want them either...

dk

Reaction score
Hey tequila,
Yeah axies are a bit slow when they try to catch feeders, but hopefully theyll catch them eventually. Like what others have said, maybe they just need some time to get used to the tank. Ive read that some axies can also be picky with what they eat. you should ask the person or shop you got them from what they were feeding the axies before you had them.
good luck ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!