Slime is coming off its skin

stephen

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Stephen
Everynight my axie has this white stuff on his back. But when I feed him and he jumps at the food all the white stuff falls off. The next day it was back again. Is it the slime on him coming off and how can I stop this from happening.

stephen, have you tested the water parameters for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate? Is this the one you thought may or may not have fungus? Has the same thing been happening with your other axolotl?

It happened to my original axie but then it just went away. It is now happening to my other axie. It goes off him but then it just comes back. Is it the slime stuff on him coming off?

I really couldn't say. But I think if you haven't already you should test your water parameters. Also, did you quarantine the new axolotl for 30 days before introducing it into the same tank?

3rd time lucky...keep loosing my reply!. The one and only time my male appeared to shed skin was when he was moved from his old home to his new...the golden one didn't appear to do so , but due to her colouring it may not have shown. I now beleive this was caused by stress. Could there be any thing in the tank irratating their skin..i.e a plant. Many plants do produce toxins that could do this ( exma in humans[ spellind disaster due to small brain] as a defence measure, I think I remember a thread about a mystery plant that you had baught. Some pond /water plants can do this. But as others say..check your water qualityn too.

I got rid of the stuff by rubbing it off. My axie didn't mind me touching it. Most of it has gone but there is still two small spots on its tail where it is. I am going to get this off tonight. If the plant is making toxins then why is it not affecting my other axie?

You should avoid handling/rubbing its skin. Your axie may not have moved when you touched it, but too much handling esp. rubbing their skin can damage/harm them.

As I've said in previous posts, an axie can be effected if it's immune system has lowered due to stress from water quality, temperature, addition of tank companion that hasn't been quarantined, or nipping from tank companion. We have 4 axies sharing a tank, of them one is always getting fungus, the others are very healthy and don't seem effected at all.

The white stuff has all gone now. I hope it doen't come back.

The white stuff has come back again. What can I do to prevent this froming coming back? If it is a fungus why has my other axie not caught it? I thought I saw some white stuff behind its gills but im not sure. If there is white stuff there what should I do?

Stephen, you have come back time and again over one issue or another, repeating the same questions. You do know what to do you have been advised.

Obviously, if its fungus, salt baths.

If he's stressed, then you have to work out why, as asked in previous posts:

* Have you tested your water parameters for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate
* Did you quarantine the 2nd axie for 30 days before adding him to the tank
and also;
* Are there any feeder fish or other companions in the tank?
* What is the temperature?
* How often do you spot clean?
* How often do you waterchange?

All these things can effect your axie. Your axie is probably stressed and rubbing the stuff of the other day, probably didn't help just added to the stress.

It might be better if you separate/remove this axie from the tank and very possibly, if your temperatures are still warm, do saltbaths twice daily and put into the fridge to recuperate.

I have tested the water and it is fine. I did put it in quarantine for 30 days before I put it in the tank. There are some feeder fish and my other axie in the tank. The temperature is 18C. When the white stuff falls it just goes back into the water. If I did a water change would this get rid off the white stuff. The stuff behind its gill has got bigger. It looks like all these white bubbles bunched together. Is there any other way to get rid of fungus besides salt baths? Because last time I gave my other axie a salt bah it got rid of the fungus but the axie ended up dying.

Well, you can't blame the salt bath for causing your axie to die. It depends on quantity how often and how far gone your axie actually was - due to stress from temperature, feeding and water conditions (eg cycling tank or water quality).

I always salt bath my axies when they have fungus with great success and am currently saltbathing 4 axie larvae. If s/he has fungus there is obviously something stressing them - do you breed the feeder fish or buy direct from a petshop and just pop them in?

I bought the fish from the same person I bought my axies from. I got them all from the same man at a market.

The fungus has fallen off the gill that it was on. I took it out of the tank because it was just floating around. The gill it was on has lost all those little things. The thing looks really weird because it is like this white fluffy stuff filled with those gill things. I did a water change and I am now hoping that the fungus doesn't come back.

The gills definitely sound like fungus. If it returns start salt baths. Don't just rely on "it fell off" as it seems your axie may have had fungus or be getting stressed quite alot for it to recur.

Are you able to get earthworms or some other live worms like live blackworms/bloodworms? Earthworms are better staple than feeder fish if you can get them.

How often do you do waterchanges.

Every one or two weeks. The petshops only sell beaf heart and that is what I feed them.

The fungus has gone and has not come back since I did the water change.

that used to happen to my axolotls when the ammonia was up or the pH was way out of range. I recommend checking the parameters and if you don't have test kits ask your pet shop to do it for you, or just do a water change, regardless. 10 % daily i think is the limit.

Teesha do you live in Melbourne? Could there be something in our water that is causing this?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back