Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is something wrong with my axis gills?

connorsbala

Reaction score
Yesterday, i noticed that Shadows gills were pushed forward and one looked bent. All feathery things are still on there. They are both eating and walking round so all seems well. I turned the air pump on to see if there wasnt enough oxygen in the tank, as they also seemed to be flicking their gills too.
Today,things are alot better, but that gill is still bent...what could have caused it?

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
or because the pump was switched off!.. I read on one thread that turning filters/ pumps on and off at various times stress' them. Of course there may be nothing wrong at all, but keep an eye on them to make sure nothing changes, i've noticed that my tank temp is going up slightly..hit 20 today so maybe its the temp too.

connorsbala

Reaction score
Mmmm yeah maybe thanks for the replies. Thye seem to be fine, no change in eating habits or anything...
I use one of those marine cooling fans that clip on the tanks and it keeps the temp between 15 to 19 :D

connorsbala

Reaction score
Well theyre gills are normal now but im not sure if shadow has a lil bit of fungus or not :( Hope it doesnt! Its a little white patch on one of its gills...could it be? How does fungus form/whats it caused by? DO i need to add any treatment just incase? Please say its not lol!!!!!!

connorsbala

Reaction score
Well this is the best i can do pic wise
Its just at the tip of the bottom gill on the left there

Attachments

• SP_A0159.jpg
    SP_A0159.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 194

panpan

Reaction score
My axi used to have bent gills and would flap them even when the filter wasn't on so I just though he was getting oxygen. Recently I have been turning the air pump on full blast during the day (it's quite loud so i dont have it on during the night) and I've noticed he isn't flapping his gills at all (or hardly) and they aren't bent anymore. Maybe your axi just wants more oxygen or something.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1