Axolotls in Ponds

debram

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi, I live in Western Australia, a temperate mediterranean climate and have a small pond that I would like to keep axolotls in. Has anyone had experience with keeping them in ponds? Everything I have read is about axolotls in aquariums.

Hi I wanted to do the same thing with Necturus in a pond in a temperate area in America. I think the mudpuppy could get overheated here in a temperate climate, so an axolotl with similar temperature requirements in an even warmer climate (Mediterranean as you stated) would probably get way overheated, it may be possible if you hook up some type of powerful chiller however. But this would be very expensive. Here you can seem my thread on the similar subject: http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=48080

There was a post, I believe somewhere on here, of axolotls in an indoor pond. I have the pics saved to my HD, maybe do a thread search. Anyways, if you live where the temp may not be the best for axolotl or other aquatic salamanders, an indoor pond has more climate control and less risks of critters eating axolotls. That is one draw back to an outdoor pond, might get a bird or a predator fishing them out, but one can use the similar solutions to what people have done to koi and goldfish ponds to keep the predators out.
Oh, conserve your water if you live in Perth, BTW. :)

We have one or two breeders here in NZ that keep axolotls in outdoor ponds.

AnneMarie, Jennewt has an indoor pond.

debram, I think you just need to measure the summer/winter water temperatures in the pond, and that will tell you whether it's suitable for axolotls. If it doesn't freeze, and it doesn't get hot in summer, it would be OK. Pond water temp can be VERY different from the surrounding air temp, so you really do need a thermometer in the water. Also, how deep is the pond? Deeper is better, both for staying cool and for protection from predators.

Here's my indoor pond:
http://www.caudata.org/people/JM/pond.html

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back