Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Me

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm Julia. I live in Sunny Hatfield ( raining at the moment though) in Jolly old England. I have 3 children ranging from 10 to 4 years old, 1 husband ( stressed) 2 black and white cats and 2 axolotl which are the newer members of the household.....one of my children wants to be an axy when they grow up..the other 2 aim to be world famous footballers. Previously I have kept red eared terappins that lived to 25 years old, soft shelled terrapins that out grew their tank and ended up being rehomed, 3 Bourkes parakeets ( that flew off when the kids left the door open) rats, hamsters, mice, and Degu.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome Julia. I imagine the axolotls will be much easier than the rest of the animals you've kept ;). I really hope your child doesn't grow up to be an axolotl. That would be rather odd, to say the least. Not to mention the fact that you would have to explain the diet of earthworms when visitor came around for dinner....

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Its a little too late I'm afraid for that!
The childrens primary school have gone potty about me having the two axolotl,( Jimmy told some children I have real pokemon!) they want me to bring them in to show the school and do a talk about them. I have declined bringing them in, but when I get the photos and material done I am going to visit each class. In the future they would like their own , but first I want to make sure I really know what I am doing.
I have now been allocated as co-ordinator to setting up a pond/garden area for them ( kids not the axolotl) as the school are becoming enviromenatally aware ,muggins here was voted in to do it all. I'm sure it will be 'fun'. Thanks to this wonderful site I have stumbled into something I really love....waiting 30 odd years to own one has been worth it ( have an aged uncle who has wanted axolotl for even longer, now he knows I have them he visits, plonks himself in front of the tank muttering and drinking tea)
You deserve a huge pat on the back for what you have done
x

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
You are very kind Julia - thank you ;). Good luck with the pond/garden ;). I think your uncle and I would get along famously!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1