microscope

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Can anyone tell me about how much a microscope like this is worth?
It has to use an external light source. It doesn't use slides but a petri dish or something
like that.

Thanks

Attachments

• Microscopesm.jpg
    Microscopesm.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 184
A new scope of this type would cost at least $200, more likely $300+ depending on brand/quality. The cost of a used one depends on the condition, especially the condition of the optics, which can't be judged from a photo.

As a general comment, I find this kind of microscope very useful for newt-related work. Don't worry about it not having its own light source; mine has a light source, but it's not bright enough and I have to use a separate lamp anyway.

Last edited:
What make/model is it?

It's an American Optical 570. It works very nicely. I've been using it to make sure there
is enough things to eat in the egg/larvae tanks I have. I borrowed it from my boyfriend (marine
biologist). Finally something useful out of him instead of "I don't really know, my specialty is estuaries"
to all of my newt-related questions.

Last edited:
LOL

They say in school you start knowing nothing about everything there is to know. You learn and you learn and you specialize and in the end you know everything their is to know about nothing!

Does anyone here own a hand lens? Microscopes are far to expensive for a lot of us, but I've seen hand lenses with pretty high magnification and they could be useful.

I've a 30x hand lens. I do not own a microscope but we do have one in our lab.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back