Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Any bad news with bait shop worms?

eldaldo

Reaction score
I went fishing yesterday and have some nightcrawlers left over. I got them from a bait shop and was thinking I would feed them to my newts. I just wanted to make sure it was a good idea first, has anyone had any bad experiences with these? (I would of course chop them up) Thanks

i_love_necturus

Reaction score
I have had only good experiences with bait shop nightcrawlers, ecscept they are usually pretty long so you might want to cut the worms appropriately for the size of your newts.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have used baitshop worms for 5 years without problems. With live food, there is always some risk that it will carry something, but I've not heard of any problems with live worms.

newtron

Reaction score
There was a member on the forum, it might have been Jeffrey, i dont exactly recall, who lost most of his caudates due to using bait shop worms. Though the risk is very very minute, i still think it is better to order online from a reputable source than to risk bait shop worms whose source is dubious at best.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
James, I think that issue was with bad bloodworms. Or maybe we're talking two seperate incidences.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I've heard anecdotal stories of people having losses due to bait shop worms. I prefer to purchase my worms by the lb, keep them, and breed them so I know the conditions my worms were under when I used them for feed. I ordered 4lbs today that are being raised in rabbit manure. I'll keep them in good clean conditions for about a month to get the ammonia and rabbit manure out of them. I will then have a good giant size culture of producing worms to use for lots of food. I get the rabbit manure one because they always come in in looking great and only run me about 10.00 a lb.

strothrat53

Reaction score
have feed my axolotls on night crawlers from walmart for over 2 years with no problems and cheaper then at a bait store, i pay $2.50 for 2 dozen

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1