Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Nitrate/nitrite tetra test help!

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I have been using the tetra nitrate and nitrite testing kits and now my readings have started to drop. I have been doing daily 20-30% water change for what seems like forever ( originally used the 5 in 1 test sticks and that showed a high reading). Ammonia has always been clear. While putting the stuff back in their boxes I began reading the back . Todays read as NO2 0.3 mg/l and NO3 as 12.5mg/l( originally NO2 1.6 mg/l and NO3 50mg/l). The back of the box says for No2 to divide the reading by 3.3 to get the Nitrite/nitrogen mg/l and NO3 to divide it by 4.4 for nitrate/nitrogen mg/l) I have never understood chemistry( except when it comes to cooking!) but what reading am I looking for?

kapo

Reaction score
I'm only basing on the one I use which is AP brand. Basically anything above 0 for ammonia and nitrIte is unsafe. Was your tank cycled prior to getting your axies? A cycled tank would have 0 for ammonia and nitrite - and depending on if you have live plants or not a nitrate reading of between 10-60.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
yes it was cycled ( according to the origianl tests) I replaced the filter as the other was for a much smaller tank..but i used the filter media with the new one. I added more sand ( black) to what I had as they where sliding around on the clear spots. This was rinsed first under warm tap water ( held in roof tank so figured the chlorine would have dispersed) then with the water-but water, then added more plants as one was looking ropey. I suspect this affected the readings. If I follow the imformation on the boxes it looks like all is ok. I am waiting for a reply from Tetra .

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!