Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

new granulosa-nodules under skin?

louise

Reaction score
I have just received a pair of granulosa, neither of which look in very good nick. They are very underweight, one more so than the other. One of them has tiny nodules under its skin covering its body, and after a rather poor shed today they are still there. Is this a bacterial infection?

I have yet to get either of them to eat, although the better looking one attempted a waxworm then gave up.

I have them in an almost fully aquatic setup with one cork bark island.

Any advice?

louise

Reaction score
Some pics:

Attachments

• tarichas 6.jpg
    tarichas 6.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 433
  • tarichas 009.jpg
    tarichas 009.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 511

rigsby

Reaction score
Hi Louise...I had a torosa with the same problem and i'm 99% certain they are some sort of mite and they are a *"!!~##*? to get rid of , in fact i still haven't. They don't seem to bother them at all and when mine came out of hibernation there seemed to be fewer so cold may affect them. They do look a bit on the skinny side but have a good apetite and will soon put on weight..may i ask where you bought them from....ian

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1