Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

State regulaitons on amphibians

eldaldo

Reaction score
I was reading the Pennsylvania fishing and wildlife regulations booklet I got when I bought my fishing lisence, and there is a section on reptiles and amphibians. It seems that this year they have put forth new legislation that makes it illegal to catch or posess certian amphibians (like all of our native Ambystoma) and they put limits on others. I was wondering if anyone has laws like this in other states. Luckily none of the species I own are on the list, but I was wondering if these laws prohibit the posession of CB amphibians as well as WC. Like perhaps if a couple of years down the road I wanted to buy a jefferson salamander from someone on this forum or something. Anyone know?

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
You can not purchase any amphibian or reptile native to Pa if you are a Pa resident. It doesn't matter if it comes from another state or not. If you are in Pa. you can not breed native Pa. amphibians. This year I needed to purchase a "Reptile and Amphibian Artificial Propagation License" to be able to breed non native Pa amphibians. I also needed a "Reptile and Amphibian Dealer License" to be able to sell amphibians in Pa. I don't think these laws will be enforced at the hobyist level. Once you start breeeding, selling, and swapping animals the distinction between hobbyist and professional become blurred. This is a big part of why I work with very few native U.S. amphibians.

eldaldo

Reaction score
well, I put an add in the for sale section but it is for karelinii which is non native, do you think it is ok or should I take down the ad? I also own a few N. viridescens that I bought from a biological supplier. I wonder if i need a permit or anything for them. I definitely don't want to get in trouble for something so dumb as owning newts that I shouldn't own without a permit. could you imagine telling that one to my parents.

eldaldo

Reaction score
looking at my above post I realize it could be interpreted that I think the laws are dumb, but I don't. That's why I want to make sure that I am following them. I just think it would be dumb and somewhat humorous to get in trouble for breaking the laws, like "so what are you in for?" . . . "uhh, possession of a newt species native to PA." I think i will call the DNR tomorrow . . . if that is where I need to call.

also by the way, I just realised that this is in the wrong section. I accidentally put it in the vivarium general discussion when I meant for it to be in the actual general discussion . . . sorry.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1