Fungus?!

connorsbala

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Connor S
Okay, last night i noticed some sorta patches on my axies gills so i assume its fungus.
I got some interpet aqua tonic salt today and gave it a salt bath for 10 mins. It says to do 1 teaspoon for every 4 gals, the container it was put in was 2 litres so i did half a teaspoon obviously...do i need to increase it? How long will it take to come off as there is only a little on my axie!

Attachments

• SP_A0159.jpg
    SP_A0159.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 212
For two litres of water you shouls be using 5 or 6 teaspoons of sea salt.

Okay ill increase it..even though it says how much on the packet? Also,what could have caused the fungus too develop? Ive turnt off all airpumos and fans so theres no surface agitation. They are both eating so its not a major prob but i worry for the infected one!!!!

Okay ill be using 5 teaspoons of salt for 2 litres. Ill be doing th ebathing at 18:30 and 20:30, is this too soon or do i need to leave longer intervals?

Shall i get some anti-fungal stuff like pimafix and maybe a lil methylene blue to add to the salt baths...no the tank water

Also,what could have caused the fungus too develop? Ive turnt off all airpumos and fans so theres no surface agitation.
There are various possible reasons. What is the water temperature? (Note that it can be very different from the room air.) Is this animal picked on by its tankmate? Is the tank large enough, and getting enough partial water changes? Is there a filter? Some animals are more susceptible than others, so the other one not having fungus doesn't rule out tank problems.

The time interval is fine. I think the instructions on the salt you bought are for treating the whole tank, rather than for salt baths.

Last edited:
I gave it another salt bath with 5 teaspoons of salt in 4 litres of water. There isnt any signs of improvement...is this normal or should it have gone down a lil bit.
Yes theres a filter. Just did water test and levels are fine. Well, he gets sorta picked on at feeding time where the other out compeites it but he gets plenty of food still. The temp is usually 19 but if its sunny itll go up to 20 and i will turn on the cooling fan where itll then drop,i have the fan on everyday for a few hours to lower the temp. I do a 25% water change every week but the substrate is sand so i cant really get the vac down into it to give it a good clean, i just have to go along the top.

Whoops didnt realise it was 5 teaspoons for 2 litres! I did 5 for 4 litres! Ill have to write that down so i dont forget 2moz!!!!!!!!!!! WIll this have stressed it or wont it have mattered?

Let me get this staright....ill need 10 teaspoons for 4 litres of water for the bath?

Ok,ive come to a conclusion to what ill be doing. Ill be doing 2 salt baths a day at 4 litres each holding 10 teaspoons of salt. If this doesnt improve within a week, ill get some methylene blue and do one bath of that aday with less than the recommended dosage. Can i mix the methylene blue in with the salt baths or would they need to be 2 seperate baths? If the fungus spreads onto the feathery parts of the gills, will she lose her feathers for ever or shall they regenerate?
PS sorry for asking sooo many qs but i want my axies to get better!!!!!!!!! :-(

Ok,ive come to a conclusion to what ill be doing. Ill be doing 2 salt baths a day at 4 litres each holding 10 teaspoons of salt. If this doesnt improve within a week, ill get some methylene blue and do one bath of that aday with less than the recommended dosage. Can i mix the methylene blue in with the salt baths or would they need to be 2 seperate baths? If the fungus spreads onto the feathery parts of the gills, will she lose her feathers for ever or shall they regenerate?
PS sorry for asking sooo many qs but i want my axies to get better!!!!!!!!! :-(

You need to give it time to work. Nothing works instantly. Start with the salt baths and see how you go before deciding to do something else

Even if the fungus cleared within 3 days, its always best to continue salt baths for at least a week after the fungus clears/drops off, as chances are it's likely to start up again.

The gills will regenerate, how fast depends on age of your axie. Adult/mature axies take much longer to regenerate.

Connor - You can use the edit button to amend/append (add) to your post within the hour of originally posting it.

Last edited:
Gave him a methelyne blue bath today. Ill be doing one methylene blue bath then one salt bath aday

Be careful with what fish medications you use. Some are fine for scaled fish but have a significant degree of toxicity for axolotls. Methylene blue should be ok but I wouldn't dose it at anything above 1/2 what they recommend for fish, and I'd stay closer to 1/4.

Yeah thats what im doing..like 0.5 ml per 2 litre baths. Should i do one of them and one salt bath or 2 salt baths and the methylene blue bath?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back