Very ill axie! Any advice would be great...

xyra

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly, Hi to everyone on the site!

We bought 2 axies on friday - our first ones, and we've been having some big problems with one of them.

Both appeared fine (to the untrained eye) in the store, and had been there for at least a couple of weeks before we bought them.

On transporting them home, one (male) was fairly active in the bag, and the other (female) less so.

When we got them home and put them into their new tank the same active one (male) was still nice and active and started feeding the same day. The other one (female) did not, all she did was sit there flicking her gills very regularly.

She has no obvious red colour in her gills at all, they seemed fluffy, but were exactly the same colour as the rest of her body (golden albino)

Today she has been very unhappy. Unable to move very well, still flicking her gills and falling about as she walked, even laying on her side for prolonged periods. I thought she had died on a couple of occasions, but she eventually started moving again just as I was getting ready to get her out.

I am an experienced fish keeper and used a mature filter, keeping any cycle to a minimum (just a tiny amount of ammonia and nitrite have registered due to the different composition of the poo and they have already dropped back to 0) Nitrate is about 50ppm (30 - 40ppm out of the tap)

The tank temporature is sitting at around 23.5C, but we have lowered this now to nearer 19C - 20C
Both axies are about 6" long and on fairly course sand.

The male is still fine, feeding happily and being generally active.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

It seems that there was something wrong with this one before you got it, and the stress of moving to a different tank may have made it worse. I don't know of anything else you can do to help - the tank sounds good and the temperature is good. There are no obvious symptoms that you could treat. Be sure that the healthier one doesn't pick on her, as they will do this sometimes.

Thanks for the advice, unfortunatly the little axie passed away :(

I suspect she was having blood flow problems to her gills and couldn't breathe properly.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back