Are there any smooth newt owners here?

gecko

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Gecko
Hi,
I have posted a lot on the smooth newt, I was hoping that some smooth newt owners would reply,is any owners here?,I need to know what you do with your newts,as I am new to my little guy,as he is to me!, I found the toothpick waving thing does not work for him, he ate a few bloodworm on tweezers for me but thats it,Im worried if I keep waving food in his face I may put him off all together, so I was hoping that anyone else who owns a smoothie,could give me feeding advice?, its since I have cooled his water temps with ice that he became less bothered to eat, but I dont know how much heat these guys can take!, thats why I keep making him ice cusions to be on the safe side!.

smoothies can stand a wide range of temps up to the low 70s but 70 max would be better..try feeding him small earth worms or any moving food small enough to eat.If he is wild caught he will take a little time to get used to frozen blood worm, but he will...

Ian thank you for your reply, I was hoping to catch you in the chat room?, does this mean you do have smoothies!*lol;)

thanks again

Sorry getting back to you properly!, at the moment the heat is quite bad in our house, so it says on the thermometer 76 degrees!,Im not sure that its working, its normally for reptiles!. I have put ice bags next to him, and he seems to be ok for now!.
He did eat bloodworm for me, a few on some tweezers frozen, so that was good, but he has not wanted to eat now, i have had him a week, he ate the first day,and shed then he did not eat for 5 days,then he did eat the bloodworm, so now its been about 3 days he has not wanted to eat again,but he did shed again last night!.I was hoping you would know, do I have to make him terrestrial now?, as he is not as bothered with the water!Help please?

sorry forgot to say thats what he ate 1st day, but it was a big earthworm, the next day he spat out one a bit too long i guess for him, so then I have been trying him on smaller ones since!,well smaller worms, its hard to find small earth worms!.
Ok thats me sorry to keep bothering you, I shall stop typing now, before i look paraniod!lol:D

had them in the past but theres some breeding in my pond..i tend to steer clear of chat rooms as my typings that slow you'd need a sudoku to fill in whilst waiting for a reply :)

:DLOL, sudoku, good one!
Know the feeling,im chatting to a pal the now, he is always so much faster at typing than me!
Hey dont worry, I just really appreciate your help, you had them in past?, where they hard to look after?
How hot is danger hot for them?, 78?80?, I mean thats important things I cant seem to find out!.
Cool you have smoothies in your pond, is it true they move from ponds?.
Which species do you have now?, i am getting really into them but have a zoo at home as it is!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back