Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help Please

xRebelYell

Reaction score
Hi,
I just found a salamander in my pool but I think its sick because we put pool chemicals in the pool last night. I have no idea how salamanders live or anything. Its black with a yellow strip from its neck to its tail. Do you know anything I can do for it? Like what it should live in or what I should feed it?
Thank you so much, Kaitlyn

caudataman

Reaction score
It's a long-toed salamander. I would keep it in a plastic shoe box on a damp paper towel substrate for a while. You might want to allow it to soak periodically in shallow, clean, non-chlorinated spring water for 10 or 15 minutes over the next few days to help leech out any pool chemicals it may have absorbed. This is a land salamander so swimming is not it's strong suit, so I would keep the water very shallow, about .5 inch. Long-toeds are great salamanders! Very aggressive feeders. Offer them pieces of earthworm, small crickets and other small invertebrates. The ones I had in the past really went after worms. You have a nice animal there...good luck!!!

xRebelYell

Reaction score
Alright thank you so much, the little guy looks much better now. I put him in an ice cream bucket with .5 inch. of water, some rocks to climb on and fake leaves so it can hide under. Hes not eatting at all though, my mom thinks we should set it free in our big park down the street since it is wild. My mom thinks it is perfect because it has a big creek, rocks, lots of bug and lots of room for it. Do you think he would be fine there?

dane_zu

Reaction score
I think you may want to keep it in a more terrestrial set-up, not so much water(maybe just a water dish)

i_love_necturus

Reaction score
I think you should release it as close to were you found thats possible (and safe), since it got in your pool I recommend letting it go at the park, sounds fin there. But if you want to keep it its your choice.

caudataman

Reaction score
Release is always an option. Most salamanders are typically shy at first and do best without much attention outside of feeding time. I would again recommend the damp paper towel/shoebox method, as salamanders can be maintain for years under such conditions. Leave the lid on it for a couple days in a cool, dark area and only open it for occasional observation/cleaning. After a couple days, drop in a small earthworm near him and see what happens...if he doesn't eat after a few days, let it go...

A

achiinto

I think you should let it go. I am not sure which province of Canada you are from. I only know the by-law in Ontario. It is possible that taking local wild salamander home is an illegal act. I will suggest that you check your local by-law.

Anyhow, you mentioned that the salamander is not eating. What have you been feeding it? I do think that it require a more land based setup as well.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1