Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

red spotted newt acquatic and eating? please advise!

chrisrolinski

Reaction score
I brought a red spotted newt 2 weeks ago and originally kept it mostly aquatic with a log and rock to climb on - it ate fine. Every day for a week on frozen bloodworms. then I moved it to a big tank with more landmass - it stopped eating and crawled into a leaf and wouldn't leave or do anything for days. I have returned it to a larger aquatic setup with a log and rock for surfacing on. It is now MUCH more active and I hope it begins to eat again soon. Can anyone explain this behaviour?

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, Chris, I just noticed this unanswered question. This doesn't sound unusual to me. Is there a difference in temperature between the 2 tanks? Any update on behavior since you first posted?

chrisrolinski

Reaction score
thank you for your reply...

...the water in the new tank is about an inch or two deeper so I guess extra water volume = cooler water. I've had the window next to the tank open to help cool it down a bit too - it seemed to like that. The newt is crawling over the plants and getting up onto the rock and log no problem - it even sniffs the worms as if it is hungry and then doesn't follow through. But at least it is interested in the idea of food. I wonder if you could suggest annother live food that I can feed the newt in the water?

Thanks!

chrisrolinski

Reaction score
he has eaten and looks fine

Thank you for your advice - the water changes and feeding of bloodworms seems to have done the trick. He is eating again...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!