colour question

peterj

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
PeterJ
I've read the Axolotls.org colour genetics section (which is great) but I'm still not sure about one of my axolotls. I have two which could be melanoid - neither has a shiny ring around the pupil of the eye but their colours are different. The darker of the two is an even smokey black all over while the other looks motled, like a dark wild type. Do axanthic Axolotls have the shiny ring around the pupil of the eye? Can anyone point me in the direction of photos of non-albino axanthics?

AGSC says "The axanthic mutant is characterized by the absence of xanthophores and iridophores. Melanophores are normal, and otherwise wild-type animals are uniformly dark gray. Dark axanthic axolotls are not vigorous, and Frost reports a susceptibility to viral infections (Frost et al., 1986). Axanthic animals also homozygous for albino (a) are hardy animals. Older axanthic albinos are pale yellow, apparently due to riboflavins in the diet (Bukowski, et al., 1990)."

That is, dark axanthics usually die, while albino axanthics tend to survive more readily. Also, because of the lack of iridophores, there would be no 'shiny' ring.

Melanoid individuals can be just as variable as wildtypes. They can range from velvety black to pale grey.

Last edited:
Thanks for that Kaysie. To me both animals look like they are missing iridophores, but how can you tell if they're without xanthophores? One of the reasons I'm interested is that the dark mottled one is less vigorous than its siblings. How long do dark axanthics usually last?

If the animal is melanoid, it would have reduced iridophores. I don't know how to find if it has a lack of xanthophores.

If it's less vigorous, I'd guess that it's axanthic. They tend to not do well at all, and are quite sickly. I don't think there's an exact time limit on them, but they often fail to thrive.

Thanks Kaysie - I'll keep an eye in it but it doesn't sound promising.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back