New Axie Today !

naymo

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Display Name
Sinead Culling
Hi there guys I got my new and first axie today..
He's beautiful..a nice pale olive colour with white pigments on his tail
and chocolate freckles everywhere lol..
i decided to give him a couple of mealworms just now..and he ate them! I was surprised..
the pet shop lady said he might'nt eat at all for a few days..
Anyways i was just wondering if you could answer a few questons..
He flaps his gills alot is this ok?
and The water feels warm..any cheap cooling methods you find handy??
Thanks so much in advance..
Nay..

Flapping their gills is normal, they all do it. A cheap way of cooling your water is putting some water bottles in the freezer. Your water bottles just have to be like mount franklin sort of bottles. Wait for the the bottles to freeze then put the frozen bottles in the water and it will cool down. :D congrats on your first axie

I agree with Jacob.

You can try getting a normal household fan and have it blowing accross the surface of the water, this can drop the temp by 1 or 2C. this along with ice bottles should do the trick.

You should probably invest in a thermometer so that you can find the exact temperature.

Flapping gills is to circulate the water around them to absorb more oxygen.

Congrats on the new axie and i look forward to seeing some pics.

oh and welcome :)

Thanks Guys!
Your infomation was very helpful indeed.
I will post pics soon..Hes so unique
I Have a bottle of his tank water in the freezer now..
the fan is a good idea..ill hunt around home for one.
Im keen for any other cooling methods as well
:D

I have bought a chiller it´s expensive but worth the money. I have it on 18 degrees.:happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back