Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Digging

rosstxttpo

Reaction score
Our axolotl has taken up the hobby of digging in his sand. I think it started off when he got too big to go under his bridge, he dug a tunnel in the sand so he could go under the bridge.

Now, he is just digging holes all over the tank.

Is this normal behaviour? Does anyone else's baby do the same?

kapo

Reaction score
Ours do when they're looking for food, snuffle with their mouths/heads.

peterj

Reaction score
Mine push sand away from the rocks in the tank like they're trying to get food from underneath.

rosstxttpo

Reaction score
We always put his food in the same place for him so if he is hungry, he goes and sits with his head in that spot.

But the digging, he does at various other points another the tank - digging hols that are 1cm deep.

Any ideas?

kapo

Reaction score
Regardless of you putting the food in one spot, axies will still dig/snuffle in various areas of the tank. You might have hidden food or waste in those areas which they can smell or they're just being hopeful!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1