Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl in trouble... help!

lawz

Reaction score
My wild-type(?)(possibly melanoid?) axolotl hasn't eaten in over a month. It has recently developed lumps along its body and the front of its gills have turned white. It started floating today, and has started to swell and has become uncoordinated. Also, one of its gills has become 'fluffy' (fungus?). Is there anything I can do before it's too late? There is also another axolotl in the tank, that has exhibited no signs; should I do anything in particular to prevent it getting sick?

This are pics of it last week and today.

Attachments

• axo b4.jpg
    axo b4.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 144
  • axo2day copy.jpg
    axo2day copy.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 196

kapo

Reaction score
Do you have freshwater test kits for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? If so, then test your tankwater. If any levels are above 0, then do a 20-30% waterchange daily or every few days to bring the levels down.

Your axie is stressed for some reason, and it's usual for one axie to show it and not another in the same tank.

What is your tank temperature?
Have you added anything recently to your tank?
Apart from the other axie are there any other companions?
How often do you do waterchanges or clean your tank?

These can all have bearings on why your one axie got stressed and developed fungus.

To treat fungus you can do saltbaths.

Put dechlorinated water in a container or bucket
Depending on amount of litres used, add 2-3 teaspoons of salt per litre of dechlorinated water.
(You can use sea salt, aquarium/tonic salt, or at a push if you don't have any of the former uniodised table salt).

Transfer your axie to the salt bath and bathe for 10-15minutes max.

You need to do twice daily saltbaths, and continue them until a few days after the fungus has disappeared.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!