naymo

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Display Name
Sinead Culling
Hey there!
I just got my first axie two days ago.
I had been researching and browsing around this site for months beforehand.
I know that gravel is a a bad choice of substrate.
At first i had small river rocks..but i found them really hard to clean around.
So now i have a bare bottom.
I've heard how sand is the best option and im saving up to buy some.
But today Mum went and bought me a whole bag of gravel and said the petshop guy told her sand was a bad option and they need gravel.She thinks the gravel couldnt hurt my axie
Mum wont take my word for how much of a threat gravel poses to Axies.
Any advice here?

Yes, don't put it in! Most petshops tend to give misinformed/bad advice when it comes to axies - they tend to base it on what goes in a fishtank. Do a search of the forum, as there have been a few threads on blockages/prolapse and get your mum to read.

Gravel is very dangerous, can at worst cause impaction/blockage leading to a prolapse and possible death. And as you know from the small river rocks, it's hard to clean around/under.

We have 5 axies (our latest included) who have previously been on gravel with previous owners. Our 4 x 4yr olds we got early last year - within a day of having them they pooed out a few pieces of gravel in some cases the coloured round glass pebbles (1.5-2cm size). Over the last 16 months, we have found many pieces of gravel and pebbles in our tanks - the last piece about a month ago - so hopefully they haven't anymore left in their bodies. Our latest edition has been pooing out 3-4 pieces of 2.5mm-1cm gravel daily.

You should be able to buy a cheap bag of sand from Bunnings or any other hardware/landscaping/garden store. Just ask for playsand.

Here is another method you can use with sand/gravel as a permanent substrate which works well that Jennewt posted http://www.caudata.org/forum/messages/793/77098.html?1170154180 - my sister did the same with her tanks and it looks good and is so easy to clean.

Otherwise, you can have bare tankfloor . I have 8 axie larvae and an adult axie in tanks with no substrate. Easy to feed and clean, live worms aren't able to bury themselves in sand/gravel or rocks!

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back