Larvae and DIY brine shrimp hatchery

cloth

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Sarah(UK)
Heres a couple of pics of my DIY brine shrimp hatchery and a small group of axolotl larvae I have growing on at the moment.Fingers crossed I will also have some more eggs in the not so distant future :) axys everywhere...:)

Attachments

• brine01.jpg
    brine01.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 1,493
  • larvs01.JPG
    larvs01.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 1,385
Good to hear you finally managed to find some larvae!

How many are you raising?

I only have 5 left of my 20 (all the rest gone to their new owners. Next week 2 are being picked up. I really won't know what to do with my spare time! :p

Hi Kapo, well I got 20 eggs some of which were'nt viable and out of the original 20 I have 11 that hatched and are eating and doing well,so we'll see how they go,unsure of colour as yet so it'll be fun watching them develop.

And another batch of eggs arrived this morning,so we'll have lots of babies now :).

Thank you Colin ,you're a star ;)

You're certainly going to be busy!

Hehe yeah I know but I've done it lots of times before so everything is set up for them.,I'll try and get some more pictures later on.

Hard to get brineshrimp nets here - they'll order them but probably cost an arm and a leg! Stockings just didn't work so thanks for the hanky method you posted previously - worked a treat and much less stressful! :D

Its great isnt it? I stretch a mans hankie over a jug,secure it with an elastic band and drain the shrimp through,whats left on the hankie is then dipped into fresh water and fed to the larvae,the water collected in the jug can then be recycled back into the shrimp hatchery containers!

I'll get some pics of the whole process and post them soon.

Do you know what colours the parents were for the babies your raising know and the eggs your receiving

The larvae parents are golden albino and leucistic and the eggs' parents are wildtype and leucistic.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back