What can I do with this tank?

Ranid

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all, let me start by conradulating myself on my first post. (whoo)

Well I have this 20 gallon fish tank that I got from my friend who's moving. I had more than enough room in my own aquarium to accomedate his fish, so that leaves me with an empty 20 gal (bout 75L) tank. And, being the second-rate newt owner I am, want to make a nice little place for my newts and take them out of the plastic one they're in.

So I need some inspitation. Pics maybe (or pic links?). Maybe some tips?

I have palmate newts (Lissotriton helveticus) and alpine newts (Mesotriton alpestris), that would mean a Half-vivarium, right? I have never had a tank (a big one like this) half and half, only one or the other, so some help would really be appreciated.

Also if there are any plants that they particularly like, that would be nice. I've been using fake plants with them so far (*shudders*) but if I'm doing a nice tank real is so much better.

Thanks!
-Ranid

Aquatic maybe?

You could go completely aquatic just like a fish aquarium to keep aquatic salamanders. Things you could keep in a 20 gallon tank are: axolotls, Necturus spp. (mudpuppies and waterdogs, I have 1), lesser sirens, dwarf sirens, amphiumas (only small individuals or a one-toed species in a 20 gallon), and aquatic newts. Here is a picture of my aquatic setup (20 gal) holding one mudpuppy: http://www.caudata.org/photoplog/index.php?n=79

You may or may not want to do this but I love aquatics and maybe you might...

Oh before I had them in my fish tank, but one morning my dad was brushing his teeth inthe downstairs bathroom and out from under the door came a newt just a walkin'. So then I had to put them in a more secure tank, but I don't like the size.

They've done well in all water, but they also seem to be using the land in their current setup aswell so i didn't want to deprive them.

also what type of plant is shown here?:http://www.caudata.org/photoplog/index.php?n=79

I've seen that used a lot and I want some myself.

The plants in that picture (my picture, lol) is called elodea. Some places still call it anacharis. Its a great oxygenator and grows like a weed if you have enough light, I recommend it. Most pet stores carry it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back