Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Summer Shipping of Caudates

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
So I have a bunch of metamorphs that I have procrastinated advertising and sending off for whatever reason, and I would really like to rehome them. But now that we are in summer, is there any way to make this safe? I have several large styrofoam boxes I have collected from work as well as ice/freezer packs, but didn't know if this would be sufficient to stave off the heat. I would like to send them Priority because it is the cheap method and the foam boxes are not small, but I know Priority can take more than just a couple of days. So, bottom line - can I safely ship in the next 2 weeks if my temps are in the low 90's or do I have several dozen morphs until autumn? Any tips or suggestions much appreciated,
Heather

Last edited:

caudataman

Reaction score
if in doubt, don't do it...

Hi Heather. I've shipped a many salamanders lots of different places and I believe you have to live by the motto above. Express mail, even on a bigger styrofoam box is usually fairly reasonable, (under $40 dollars), and I would suggest that in all but the hottest summer months. Use weather.com to check daytime highs in your local AND the ending destination. As long as it's in the mid-80's or under, I would use the cooler/cool pack method. Shipping costs are usually borne by the buyer of the larvae(unless it's a trade), so I would offer them the option. I wouldn't do Priority Mail unless temps were in the 70's or lower. JMHO...

Good luck!

Brian

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In my opinion, Priority Mail is completely out of the question from now until maybe October. Express Mail is OK, but only if the recipient gets it the next day; for people in the "2-day" delivery areas for Express Mail, I wouldn't even do that.

If you are stuck with dozens of morphs, I'd suggest that the easiest (lowest maintenance and least chance of vacation disaster) way to keep them is on soil in plastic boxes.

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Got it, No shipping 'til Autumn - at least this way I get to see them grow up a little.
Well, I would like to say this will be a lesson for me, but...I have always been a procrastinator *sigh*

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1