Help - axie with chewed-off gills

Ethansfamily

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
HI, we don't know alot about axies but have had one (ethan) living in our fish tank for about 2yrs now.
This morning we realized the fish have eaten his gills. we have taken him out of tank - is there anything else we can do for him?

Keep the axolotl in a cool place. Shallow water might be helpful, as he may need to come to the surface to breathe. Be careful to keep the water clean, as he's probably in a small container?

Axolotls cant be keot with fish..as now you know the outcome :)
Best to keep them seperate

If you don't have or can't afford a tank, then one of those plastic fish bins or storage bins on wheels from Warehouse make good temporary or quarantine tanks.

Unfortunatly in our ignorance we belived the pet shop we bought him from when they said it was fine to keep fish and Ethan together - however Ethan has definitly moved out now and we're in the process of creating spectacular new living quarters for him. Strange how we had no probs for 2yrs thou - guess it's a size thing?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back