Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What do axanthic axies look like?

naymo

Reaction score
Hi..
I just got my first axie this week..
And I know hes not albino,leucistic,or mealonoid.
He looks like a golden albino crossed with a wild type.
Very yellowy.
I've heard alot about people asking if there axies are axanthic.
And I was wondering what they look like
Maybe mine is? Ill post pics soon.
Hes a very interesting colour :p

Last edited:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
What you were told is not accurate. If the pictures you posted were of your animal, it's a golden albino. Feel free to post more pictures for more opinions.

Axolotls aren't like cats, for instance. You can't cross a black axolotl and a white axolotl to get a grey one. They do not have incomplete dominant genes. Although it very well may be the offspring of a wildtype and an albino, there's no way to tell that from looking at it. It's either albino or it's wildtype, not a 'mix' of the two.

Light wildtype animals do exist, as wildtypes are highly variable. They have dark gold irises and black pupils. However, your animal is not one of these as its pupils are not black, and the animal doesn't appear to have melanophores. It's just a dark golden albino with a worrisome looking spot over it's eye.

Last edited:

naymo

Reaction score
Well It has actually been confirmed that Banda is not a golden albino.
She does have melanophores..all over her.
That patch is not worrisome.its simply a collection of melanophores (freckles)
a beauty spot i like to think.:)
Her iris's are silvery metallic with black pupils.
She cant be a golden albino as their eyes are of golden/orange or red complexion.
Im well aware of how you can cross a black axolotl with a white and get grey.
But I also know however that parents can have reccessive genes for other different types, then what they actually phsyically are.

Thanks for your comments anyway tho
I was just trying to classify my pet.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1