Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hi

trochanter

Reaction score
Hello,
My name is Tadas. I'm from from Lithuania. Despite the fact that my country has lots of various caudatans (according to the newest data we have 2 species :) ), I'm keeping amphibians imported from abroad. I kept Ambystoma mexicanus, Pleurodeles waltl. At this moment I have two Cynops pyrrhogaster males (loking for the female) and trying to find Cynops ensicauda.
My future plans are to breed C. ensicauda and to introduce this species into hobby in my country.

There are two things that I don't like to do in my hobby: 1) to fight against heat during summer; 2) to answer to a question: why don't you keep rat or dog insted your silly newts?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
You've got a nice mix of species there.

The fight against the deadly heat is one we all must face at some point. There are ways around it, of course. The least time-consuming (but most expensive) is to just buy an air conditioning unit for the room with the caudates.

I get the "Why on earth would you like those?" question a lot. As we say here, different strokes for different folks. I like my critters slimy and scaly, rather than fuzzy. Fuzzy = food

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1