Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hello

lizard lady

Reaction score
Just a note to say hello! I am new to the forum and just wanted to let everyone know what critters I have. 4 Tiger sallies, 1 V.horned toad, 2 leopard geckos, 1 bearded dragon, 1 king snake, 1 corn snake , and a boa. The sallies are local, one I found in the basement, 2 in a water well and one the kids stepped on. The oringinal Sally is about 4yrs old and the others (Tiger, Killer, and Squishy) I've had for 3 yrs. Probable the easiest pets to take care of. Need to dicuss what their requirements would be to get them to lay eggs as I would like to release the babies back into the ponds on my farm. The 4 I have are too used to being fed by hand and the comforts of a nice, warm home, and I like them too much.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the the forum. If you can breed tiger salamanders in true captivity you would win a big prize ;(. I don't think anyone has bred them in an aquarium without cheating somewhat (wintering them outside or in an unheated environment), and even then most of us have a hard time swallowing that they really bred them. Tim Johnson knows a man in Japan who seems to have managed it but I don't know if we got much info about it.

lizard lady

Reaction score
tiger salamander breeding

I read somewhere that Sallies don't sexually mature until the age of 5, but that would be in the wild with cold, drought, and hibernation. I was thinking that with the higher quality of food and the stable enviroment that the maturity may start earlier. Also found that Sallies will return to the pond of their birth or similar enviroment....so I might try filling their aquarium in the spring with pond water, with bugs and larves in tact, adding plants to attach eggs to, and a small air pump and see what happens.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Tigers can reach sexual maturity in a few months (although that's extreme). If you have a male and he has an enlarged cloaca, he's mature. The only salamanders that take 5 years to mature live on high mountains :p.

I wish you luck with your experiments but I doubt they'll succeed ;(.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There have been some captive breedings of tiger sals in Europe, but they used outdoor enclosures. Good luck; your sallies will have a nice naturalized environment, even if they don't breed.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1