Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Too many plants bad?

Gordy

Reaction score
I'm about to put sand into my 60cm tank. I want to turn it into a unterwater jungle by having lots of pants in there so my axie feels secure. About 10 or so plants. Are too many plants a bad thing? Should I even bother with a pump with this many plants?

panpan

Reaction score
I have an aprox 3ft tank and I have loads of (not real) plants in it with a castle etc and my axi loves sitting in them and things. He has no problem getting around and he likes hiding behind them when he's 'stalking' his food. SO as far as I know theres nothing wrong with it.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
As long as you put in plants that can withstand the cold that is required for an axolotl tank, and you pick out any dead pieces before they start to decay, then you can have as many plants as you want.

G

Guydyon

I used to keep a few fake plants with mine, but it seemed to me that the sharp edges of the leaves could cut the axies' skin when they would be darting around.

Anyone has an opinion on this?

Now, since I'm not much of a water gardener, I keep mostly log (anubia, moss) and floaters. They seem to like.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I have mostly silk plants, as I can't keep anything more complicated than java moss alive.

Awky

Reaction score
I got rid of my fake plants after I found the poor lil guy had a pretty big cut on his tail. I'm not sure if I'll use them again when I have a bigger tank where he has more space and can avoid them more easily when he feels like zoomin around.

peterj

Reaction score
Silk plants are a lot safer then placcy one's. Real plants are best because they help balance your water quality if they've got the right conditions for growing.

Abrahm

Reaction score
Too many plants in an aquarium could lead to the less hardy among them dying due to their not being enough dissolved CO2 for metabolism. This is only really a problem if you choose to use really high light plants or really over plant on the order of a Takashi Amano aquarium.

Some silk plants, especially those from craft stores, may have metal wires in them to help them maintain their position. Make sure to check for these as they can rust and depending upon the wires used they may be toxic (i.e. galvanized steel and its high zinc.)

ianclick

Reaction score
Kia Ora Gordy,

I have a mix of live, silk and plastic plants in my adult axies tank. I put live plants in to help with the oxygenation of the water but I didn't wnat the extra hassle of removing all the debris so silk and plastic. If you are worried about cuts from plastic plants don't get the ones with broad sharp edged leaves. I have had no hassles with cuts so far.

The axie loves resting in the tops of them and stalking through them. Mainly they are places fro him to hide when he doesn't feel like interacting with the world.

Now if I can just find me a similar haven for the same purpose....

Cheers Ian

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!