Tankmates

Marc Tan

Reaction score
Display Name
M.T
Do you know of anything that can be housed with 4 fire bellied salamanders ? Please advise.... Thank You:D

It's not advisable to mix any other species with caudates.

I mix species, but a couple of them are literally from the same place. I wouldn't mix them unless they're from the same area, and I would make sure that neither species is highly toxic for the other one's sake. Also I advise that you make sure the other species is about the same size so they don't eat each other.

Or you can try a species of frog if you have a vivarium or otherwise not completely aquatic tank. Frogs make wonderful pets, and as long as the frog isn't too big (or has the potential to be). I'd of course recommend a temperate (like your caudates?) and none tree frog. The frog should be at least half an inch bigger than your biggest salamander's head to avoid predation and the caudates shouldn't be bigger than the frog's mouth.
If your tank is completely aquatic, however, an African Clawed Frog might be good if your salamanders are bigger than like 6 or 7 inches, because they grow to be like 5 and they eat anything. An African Dwarf frog are really good and hardy, and they only get to be an inch and a half to two if they're not small enough to be eaten. Both of those frogs are at most pet stores, in albino more commonly than natural (I think the latter looks better myself...). PM me for some suitable species if your research fails you, or to get the 'ok' right before you buy or catch a frog.

So other than that maybe some sort of fish, but I doubt you'd like that at all.

Hope that helps.

African clawed frogs are tropical. They are also thought to be one of the main vectors for Chytrid fungus.

Thanks Guys... I think i would just stick to salamanders alone.:D And, thanks again.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back