Active axie

ianclick

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand-Maori
Display Name
click
Hopefully this is the right place to post this.

My axie gets really active after a feed. It swims to the top of the tank and occaisionally leaps out of the water. It also swims/runs round in circles. I am feeding it axie foofd from the local pet store.

It is just such a contrast to his normal behaviuor that I am wondering whats up, or whether it is just happy to have a feed or maybe wants more. I am feeding it about a centimetere cube of food once every two days. I haver been told its an adult and that is the right amount of food and frequency.

Any advice?

Its normal. I'd say it just wants more. My axie does the same thing and sometimes he looks at me for so long i do give him more then he keeps swimming for more again lol

Axies do tend to get a bit more active when feeding, but if as you say it occasionally leaps out of the water then if you're able cover the tank with a lid of some sort (glass/perspex/plastic mesh) that will stop him jumping out completely. There have been cases where an axolotl has jumped completely out of the tank and landed on the floor; another one where the owner left the lid of as her cat preferred to drink the tankwater rather than from it's bowl not realising that her cat could also decide to "play" with the axolotl and harm it.

I know you've only recently been given your axolotl as a gift. How long has your tank been set up (ie: water, decorations, etc.... prior to axolotl being added)? If it was all setup the same day you received your "gift" your tank may be in the early stages of cycling, see: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml, which is normal in a new tank, but can cause discomfort and in some cases harm to your axolotl if your water is not monitored regularly through water testing/

If any ammonia/nitrite levels are above 0 then usually daily partial 20-30% waterchanges need to be done to keep any toxins down. Water testing can be done by taking a sample of tankwater to your petshop. No need for any chemicals to fix the problem (petshops are great at recommending things to fix your tank) but they're not needed as long as you do the partial changes.
Cycling can take anywhere from 3-10.5weeks at most.

Cheers again

Thanks for our advice.

The tank was filled and left for 3 days before I put our axie in. it also had the recommended amount of water conditioner added but it seems that alot of what I was told by th petshop don't measure up with experienced axie owners advice.

I will try partial water changes and a water test to check. I have a plastic lid so he can't jump right out. I tried to upload some photos of the axie and habitat but no joy. I will try again later.

Thanks for all your advice and help. At times I feel like a new parent not an experienced solo father. Thats a good thing you guys are better than plunket.

Cheers

Ian

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back