Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Not sure what this is?

Simel

Reaction score
Hi all, we are new to Axies and when we got them, had not come across this site. We were using info from the pet store we got them from and as it turns out they no 'nothing' when it comes to Axies!

However after browsing this site for a few hours I still cant find what might be wrong with one of my Axies. He has this white 'bubble like' pocket surrounding his leg. I thought at first it might be fungus but I cant find anything on here that looks or sounds similar. I was going to give her a salt water bath anyhow 'in case'. Will also get her water tested tomorrow.

I have taken a pic of it and hopefully someone will know what it is!

This has happened really quickly, over the weekend. We only noticed it tonight. She still eats, but its not quite as lively as normal. The water feels really cold, however when we put a thermometer in it, its saying 16C. There are two females in the tank together. I now know the tank is too small and so plan on replacing it with a much larger one very soon. (pet shop told me size is ok for two!!).

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• resized1.jpg
    resized1.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 118
  • resized pic.jpg
    resized pic.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 108

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
The picture's fuzzy and out of focus, but I assume you mean the leg.

Is it coated in fungus? Does it look 'fuzzy'? If so, you'll have to start salt baths in order to treat.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1